Saturday, October 23, 2010

Vocabsushi.

Just a quick post for the weekend with some updates.

1. I'm working on overhauling certain parts of the site design, so you'll notice some changes this weekend.  You'll already notice the blogger toolbar is gone.  If you'd like it to disappear too, drop this code into your site html between the style tags:

#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; }

2. I know where I want the current story to go, and I've written some of the next part, but I've noticed a drop in the interest in this story in particular.  So I want to open the story up to let anyone who wants to suggest ideas and direction to have their sayI'll work your suggestions in with what I have so far and run with it.  In part 3, Brad the Ghost is going to meet the leader of Ghosts from Earth.  Yep.  If you've been wondering why he hasn't seen any other ghosts, part 3 will go into why.  There will be some actual dialogue (gasp!) and Brad will have to make some tough decisions.  I'm planning on leaving part 3 off with the toughest of decisions, to be continued in part 4.  Thoughts?

3. I'm terrible at posting daily, but I want to get better.  I'll be using posts like this as daily material with tips related to blogging or writing, so my blog doesn't turn into the thing that no one wants to read but me.


4. Flav mentioned that the pictures have been going well with the stories, and that I should break up the text with more pictures.  I slapped my forehead when I read that.  It's a great idea, and I'll be doing that from now on, thanks!

5. I have a new favorite site for vocab and new words, it's called Vocabsushi.  It lets you build your vocabulary from wherever you are right now, and it is free.
The site has a fun and natural feel; you get points and levels for practicing your words, and you advance in little baby-steps to new levels.  It's a great, intuitive format, and I spent a little too much time on it this morning, collecting new words and points.  From the main page you can start the free test, then go on to choose your grade level or specific test you want to work on.  I just chose college+, as I'm not studying for any tests except life in general.  A screencap of my new Vocabsushi home is below.
Next up: Scuttlebutt?
Saturday Night Update!

Jeff Novich, creator of Vocabsushi, informed me earlier today that they will be launching a brand new iPhone app soon. I imagine it will be stylish and handy for public transit, waiting in lines, or cramming before tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment