Thursday, October 21, 2010

Beyond the Cube, Part 2.


Yes, I see in color, and I can still smell and taste everything.   I can use all of my old senses, but no one can sense me.  So today I decided to ... well I visited the girls I've dated.  Can you blame me?

Absolutely boring beyond belief.  Once you backstroke through solar flares at roughly the speed of light, your past relationships seem like jokes.  Especially mine, I suppose. 
 
Well, except one.   Hannah.   Not Montana - Murray.   I found her crying on a swing behind her house.  I can't do anything physical to the physical world anymore, but right away I wanted to put my arm around her.  You know that kind of cry where the person is quiet but their body is moving rhythmically to the crying.  I came up behind her and looked down.  She held a framed photograph of a young boy - he looked funny and bright and about eight.   I walked inside to see if anyone else was home, but the place was dark.  The kid's picture was all over though, and toys too.  I'm sure I could have found his room, but I walked back outside.

Hannah was shaking pretty bad, and she dropped his picture as I walked up.  I reached down to pick it up.  I don't know why I did that, seeing as I haven't been able to touch anything for a while now, but I'm still new at being dead.   This was a first though.  My hand brushed hers without going through it, and it felt like a match lit on my skin.  Only I don't have skin, so I laughed in surprise.  She looked right at me and said my name"

I said "Hi, how are ya?" This might not be funny, but she looked like she'd seen a ghost.  Except she couldn't see me after all; she looked right through me.  I followed her gaze and turned around in time to see the boy in the picture sitting on top of the fence, staring at us.

(To be continued in Part 3...)

No comments:

Post a Comment