Saturday, August 6, 2011

Will You Do Me A Favor?.. No...

Hawaii!!
(Funny Story Below)

I had the opportunity to spend the past week in Hawaii with my wonderful family!

 Sunset from our hotel


It was absolutely GORGEOUS!
So many things happened that made this trip unforgettable...


One of the many stories from Hawaii:
 
We decided to spend one day relaxing by the pool and working on our tans.
I found two lounge chairs in the perfect spot (or at least I thought) for my sister and I to lay on.
There was someones stuff on the chair and table next to me but I didn't think anything of it.

As I'm waiting for Heather (my sister) to arrive I was basking in the sun half asleep when a elderly man (This man was very tan and had leathery skin that indicated he spent a lot of time out in the sun.) came up to me. 
He asked me if I need any of his tanning oil and I kindly told him no.
He noticed that I had my spray sunscreen sitting right next to me on the table and asked me, "Is it cold to spray it on?"
I inform him, "No, I usually spray it in my hands then rub it on". 
The man nodded and the conversation ended.

Finally Heather shows up... and we lay in the sun for about 10 minutes until I decide I probably should put some sunscreen on before I get burnt.
I have heather help me spray it on my back and rub it in to eliminate the weird sunscreen marks.
I helped her too and then decided to lay both our chairs flat.

As I am doing this the old man says, "Hey can you do me a favor?"
I say, "Sure! Whats that?"
I'm thinking he wants me to lay his chair back as well, which would be no problem...
He asks with his tanning oil in hand, "Will you help rub this on my back?" 

I was in SHOCK! I couldn't believe what I had just heard!
I stood there for a split second and then said the first thing that came to mind.
"Sorry, I don't feel comfortable doing that."
As I am saying that Heather is saying, "Yeah, yeah she'll help you."
(I couldn't believe my sister was volunteering me to do that!)

The man goes on to say, "I understand I am here celebrating my 50th wedding anniversary and my wife is allergic to the sun". (Uh.. did he just say 50th wedding anniversary?!?)

I said, "congratulations..." and plugged my iPod in.
I couldn't believe this had just happened... This man had to have been at least 75 if not older. 
He asked at least two other people that day to help him put his tanning oil on. 

One of the most awkward experiences I've had in a lot time. At the time this happened I was not laughing. Now looking back I think its quite funny.

Note-to-self: Before plopping your things on a lounge chair you might want to make sure you are sitting next to people you know. This way you avoid having strangers ask you to rub tanning oil on their back.

No comments:

Post a Comment