Thursday, August 25, 2011

At what elevation does an elk become a moose?... HA!

TETONS!

I spent four days last week with my Mentors in Jackson Hole, Wyoming at the Tetons!
We arrived on Monday. After driving for the first part of the day we spent our time pitching tents and going over this weeks agenda.
One half of the group starts out with service while the other goes white water rafting. Then the groups switch the next day. 

My group started off with White Water Rafting...

Notable moments from Rafting: (No pictures... sorry... my camera would have gotten wet and that would have been a tragedy)
 - Having princess pae pae on our raft and protecting her.
- "Oh gosh I don't like that" - Rhett

We had the best raft ever!! :]]

and then...

The next Day we did a Service project at Jenny Lake!



For our service project we built and took down log fences.




We took the fence down on this path!
Notable moment from Service: 
- I sneezed... "Bless your gizzard Hay." - Roger
- "Where does this water come from?"
- "How do you get that white sand on the top of the mountain?" (True question that has been asked by visitors)




Games Played Throughout the week:
- Bull Shiz
- GOLF
- SCUM
- Knock Knock
-Egyptian Rat Screw (LOVE it!)
- 2 Truths & 1 Lie
- Riddles
- Bald Claymaker = Harry Potter!


STORY:
The night before we left my friend Cee and I had an awesome experience.
We decided to head to the bathrooms at around 9:00 
While getting ready for bed, we meet this incredible lady from North Carolina!
She tells us how her and her husband are cycling from Alberta Canada, to Tucson Arizona.
They drove their truck from Charlotte North Carolina to Tucson Arizona.
The flew themselves along with their bikes up to Canada and are biking back down to Tucson.
(AMAZING!)
Someone had left their phone to charge in the restroom and she asked if it was ours.
But it was not. She warned us if we do decide to charge it, to not leave it unattended.
She then explained how her phone and charger were stolen earlier. Her and her husband had separate phones but shared the same charger. 
They were going to see if they could pick another up on their way through Jackson.
She informed us that she had a DROID.
I had charged my phone earlier (for the ride home the next day) and decided to offer her my charger.
She offered to pay me for it.
I told her it was fine and that she could use it more that I could.
Besides I would be going home tomorrow and it would be easier for me to get a new one than for her.
She followed us to our tent and was so grateful for the charger.
Come to find out, She had just retired as a professor from Duke!
She did a lot of research there and was quite impressed with the program that we were involved in.

So many things happened that trip that I will never forget. 
I am so grateful to be apart of such a wonderful program. 
Every person in it is absolutely incredible.


No comments:

Post a Comment